Pickled Red Onions
Pickled red onions are definitely a #glowy staple you need in your fridge. Ridiculously delicious and the perfect tangy addition to so many dishes! We LOVE pickled red onions. Aside from their beautiful pink color, they add a great refreshing flavor when added to salads, tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, soups, and lots more. They are wonderful for cutting the richness of a dish, and adding a bright, vinegary vibe. We love making a big batch of them and they last for a good month or so in the refrigerator.
Pickled onions are brilliantly nutritious as well. They're full of sulfurous compounds and flavonoids, responsible for onions' cardiovascular benefits & ability to decrease cancer risk. Alongside apple cider vinegar, these pickled onions can help control blood sugar when eaten as part of your meal too-- yes, please! The aromaitics-- cinnamon, bay leaves, peppcorns-- are health supportive, along with honey which is loaded with with antibacterial properties.
PICKLED RED ONIONS RECIPE
- 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey / maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced with mandoline
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1. Combine apple cider vinegar, honey/maple syrup, salt, cinnamon sticks, pink peppercorns, and bay leaves. 1 cup water into a pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, then add in sliced onions. Let onion soften and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until you see pink color start to spread.
3. Turn off the heat, and let come to room temperature. Cover, chill, and enjoy!
Make this recipe, instagram it, and make sure to tag @howyouglow // #howyouglow
Recipe by: Tara Sowlaty Photography by: Sasha Young