Dr. Marjan Mirani // 5 Tips for Dental Health
General Dentist Dr. Marjan Mirani, has been creating beautiful smiles in Los Angeles for the past 15 years. This beauty is our go-to dentist, so we asked her to share her top tips for a glowing and healthy mouth.
As one of LA's top dentists, Dr. Marjan Mirani focuses on Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, delivering stunning smiles to each and every one of her patients. She is truly as lovely and gorgeous as can be, with the gentlest touch. Under Dr. Mirani's attention, going to the dentist is actually a pleasure! Alongside a kind demeanor, her incredibly steady hands make the treatment process painless. What really sets Dr. Mirani apart is that she deeply cares not only about each of her patient's smiles, but also their overall health and well-being.
Marjan is a glowing model of what it means to take care of yourself-- she radiates beauty from the inside out, and certainly knows a thing or two when it comes to making the right choices for optimal health. She has gained this incredible insight from her life-long search for balance-- which she found by joining both western and eastern approaches, with degrees from UCLA, UCSF, and extensive instruction from masters of eastern medicine.
As Marjan's niece, Tara always looked up to these new and interesting healers, which have included countless healing doctrines-- from acupuncturists, to Khalsa clinics, to Ayurvedic and yogic gurus, to Traditional Chinese Medicine, to the world's premiere western doctors and surgeons, Marjan has really explored it all! She truly believes that health starts with mindfulness : paying attention to your body and finding out what makes it thrive.
// DR. MIRANI'S 5 TIPS FOR GLOWING DENTAL HEALTH //
1) CONTROL INFLAMMATION, GUM DISEASE, AND SYSTEMIC DISEASE. Your mouth is a gateway to your overall health. Keeping the gateway clean will keep you stay healthier and younger. Inflammation happens when bacteria and debris enter blood vessels around the teeth-- it is your body’s response to such invaders, and if it happens over and over, you potentially could wind up with long term chronic diseases such as Diabetes, Arthritis and Alzheimer's.
To keep inflammation down in the mouth: 1.Use a soft bristle tooth brush or electric tooth brush (more effective at removing plaque) 2. Floss at least twice daily 3. See your dentist at least every 6 months
2) KEEP YOUR TOOTHBRUSH CLEAN & CHANGE IT EVERY 3 MONTHS. Make sure your tooth brush is in an upright position when it is not in use and do not use containers, they harbor bacteria and mold. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean the bristles periodically.
3) PREVENT CAVITIES WITH XYLITOL. Use Xylitol gum or mints for its potential cavity protection properties, especially if you can't brush after a meal. In fact, researchers are trying to make Gummy Bears into a dental aid by making them with Xylitol-- so keep an eye out for them!
4) TAKE YOUR PROBIOTICS. Probiotics contain specific strains of bacterias targeted for the mouth, which may help reduce:
- Biofilm and plaque, in turn reducing gum disease, especially Gingivitis. - Bad breath and dry mouth - Staining of the teeth
5) KEEP YOUR TONGUE CLEAN. Clean the surface of your tongue with a tongue scraper every morning to remove plaque, toxins, and bacteria-- a toothbrush on it's own is not as effective. Using a tongue cleaner will aid in controlling bad breath, improve general teeth and gum health, and boost your immunity by removing toxins which may also block our taste buds.
Book a visit with Dr. Mirani here for a #glowy smile.
|DR. MARJAN MIRANI, DDS 462 N. Linden Dr., Suite 336 Beverly Hills, CA 90212 Phone: (310) 858-5933 // Fax: (310) 858-5924 Email: email@example.com // www.MiraniDDS.com|
HOW THEY GLOW QUESTIONNAIRE
NAME: Marjan Mirani
PROFESSION: General dentist with focus on cosmetics and implant dentistry
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP: Tehran, Iran and came to the States when I was 20
WHEN YOU ARE EATING HEALTY, WHAT IS A TYPICAL...
BREAKFAST: I always start the day with freshly chopped ginger tea and lemon. After that it's either my favorite granola, Tara's “GLOWnola,” with cold-pressed almond mylk from Kreation Juicery, or a poached egg with a slice of gluten-free bread
LUNCH: Grilled wild salmon with steamed vegetables or seafood salad with watercress and lemon dressing.
DINNER: Sushi, quinoa cakes with avocado and hummus, or organic rotisserie chicken (I have been hooked on the one from Erewhon! It is perfectly crisp and delicious.)
SNACK: Almonds, walnuts or dates, they give me energy to get through the day
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE PLACES/RESTAURANTS TO INDULGE? Oh, I have so many. Madeo- for Uni pasta or Lobster pasta Osteria Mozza- Mozzarella bar or the most fabulously grilled whole Orata with fragrant herbs Cut- for the best steak Cheese Store of Beverly Hills- the best and most decadent cheese selection N/Naka- for an amazing Japanese dining experience Urasawa- My absolute indulgence
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR LAST MEAL ON EARTH? A meal crafted by perfectionist chef hiro Urasawa being surrounded by my family
WHAT IS THE BEST DISH YOU COOK/ YOUR FAVORITE RECIPE? Fillet tail with Morel mushrooms in a mustard & red wine sauce
WHERE DO YOU GROCERY SHOP IN LA? Whole Foods, Bristol Farms and local farmers markets, my favorite being the Hollywood Farmers Market (they have incredible rotisserie chicken!)
WHAT IS YOUR FITNESS REGIMEN? (how often & what you do) I do restorative yoga and meditation couple of times a week, and take the stairs instead of elevators every opportunity I get.
WHAT IS YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE? (products, facials, etc) I wash my face with Clarisonic and a mild foaming cleanser at least 3 times a week. I routinely use RMS raw coconut cream to remove makeup and cleanse my face. I also use Chantecaille Detox Clay Mask once a week to tighten up my skin. And more importantly, I use sunscreen everyday!
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE NATURAL MAKEUP / BEAUTY PRODUCTS? -RMS coconut cream -Chantecaille Ultra Sunscreen and primer with SPF 50 with anti aging ingredient feels great on your skin underneath your make up-- it's applied with a brush. I also love their Protection Naturelle Powder a brush application with SPF 45, I always carry the bronze color in my purse and use it often as touch up for a sun0kissed skin and sun protection at the same time. -For day and night cream I use Revaleskin with CoffeeBerry extract for it’s amazing anti-aging properties.
IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON A DESERT ISLAND, WHAT 3 PRODUCTS WOULD YOU TAKE WITH YOU?
1. Of course a toothbrush and tooth paste 2. Solar power generator or solar power laptop 3. Lots of lighters to light a fire for cooking, boiling water and deterring predators
WHAT PROFESSIONAL BEAUTY/FITNESS/HEALTH GURUS DO YOU SWEAR BY? I am very fortunate to have had many, many gurus and healers in my life, all of which have taught me to know and understand my own body through the practice of mindfulness. One of my favourite gurus is Dr. Tom Nagasar, my beloved acupuncturist, who not only treats your body but also your soul. He is an amazing being.
TOP 3 FAVORITE SONGS?
1. "Coffee" by Sylvan Esso 2. "Pretty Babies" by Karen Elson 3. "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley
MOST LIFE-CHANGING BOOK? "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle
WHAT IS THE BEST GIFT YOU'VE EVER RECEIVED? My beautiful Persian himalayan cat given to me by my family. He has the most gorgeous face.
COOLEST PLACE YOU’VE EVER VISITED? Machu Picchu, Peru
FAVORITE HOTELS? I Love all Aman Resorts
DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY. A culinary road trip perhaps, in Basque country, alongside my family.
WHAT IS YOUR MOST VALUABLE BEAUTY TIP/ SECRET? 7-8 hrs of sleep. Sleep is the most important thing for your skin and body. While you sleep your skin renews itself and the body has time to go through hormonal and metabolic changes it needs.
WHAT MAKES YOU GLOW? I glow when I am happy, and many things make me happy: -When I am surrounded by animals. -When I am surrounded by people I love. -When I get to create beautiful Smiles and make a positive changes in my patients lives and see them thrilled. -When I am traveling, eating good food, meeting people, and learning about new cultures and exploring.
Photography by: Emily Knecht