Kale & Caramel's Amaranth Rose Breakfast Glow Bowl
This breakfast bowl delivers a supercharged hit of goodness via the magic of two tiny little grains and seeds: Amaranth and Hemp. Pair it with some homemade rose yogurt, and you've got a breakfast that's next level #glowy. We met up with our friend Lily Diamond, of Kale & Caramel, in her sweet West Hollywood home, where she enlightened us with her incredible food styling tips and breakfast deliciousness. This morning delight has all of our favorites in one place: rose, hemp, and filling gluten-free yumminess. It only takes one glance at Lily's instagram to see that she has a magical way with ingredients, making them as stunning to the eyes as they are scrumptious to the mouth. This is definitely the case with this beautiful breakfast porridge-- here's the recipe in her own words:
"Amaranth is an ancient grain with a semi-crunchy texture and a deliciously nutty flavor. It’s got tons of protein, calcium, magnesium, healthy fatty acids, and essential amino acids like lysine. Hemp is a phenomenal source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, including gamma linolenic acid (GLA), which supports hormone balance and anti-inflammatory action in the body. Hemp seeds are 33% protein (major body fuel score) and contain all the essential amino acids. Imagine the power of uniting amaranth and hemp in one bowl…serious glow time. The other superstars of this gluten-free breakfast treat include raw honey, ground vanilla, and rosewater. Raw honey has antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties, helping to heal skin (I use it as a daily face wash!) and boost immunity. Vanilla and rosewater both work on subtler levels, sweetening and soothing the heart.
Figs and white peaches bring both depth and roundness of flavor, perfectly complementing the heady lightness of rose.
Although this meal requires a few steps, it’s relatively fast to prepare, and truly easy. All you need is a pot, a bowl, and a blender (and a grater, if you want to use a touch of beet juice to make your honey rose yogurt a sublime hue of pink).
Happy morning glowing!"
Watch our VIDEO of the step-by-step process.
AMARANTH ROSE BREAKFAST GLOW BOWL
// Amaranth Cereal //
- 1 cup dry whole grain amaranth
- 2 cups purified water
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- pinch sea salt
- 3-5 figs, sliced for garnish
- 1 white peach, sliced for garnish
// Honey Rose Yogurt //
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, or 1/8 tsp. ground vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. fresh beet juice, for color (optional—simply let 1 Tbsp. fresh grated beet soak in 2 Tbsp. purified water for 10+ minutes, then strain out as much vibrant magenta juice as you’d like)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2-3 drops rose water (or to taste)
// Vanilla Date Hemp Milk //
- 1 cup purified water
- 1 Tbsp. raw hemp seeds
- 1 date, pitted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, or 1/4 tsp. ground vanilla
- 1 pinch sea salt
1. Make the amaranth. Place water and amaranth in a covered hot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes, or until grains are tender, although they’ll still have some crunch.
2. After 20 minutes, add coconut oil to the amaranth. Stir, cover, and return to a simmer. Cook for 5 more minutes, and then add honey and sea salt. Fold in until the honey is evenly distributed, then turn off the heat and leave, covered, on the stove.
3. Make the vanilla date hemp milk. Blend water and pitted date until completely smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend until creamy and fully incorporated. Pour into a container and set aside. You may need to stir occasionally as ingredients naturally settle.
4. Make the honey rose yogurt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Ooh and ahhh at the gorgeous color and fragrance you’re about to ingest.
5. Assemble your Amaranth Rose Breakfast Glow Bowl. Slice fruit, and prepare each bowl with a serving of amaranth, a nice pour of hemp milk, a few dollops of honey rose yogurt, and fresh figs and peaches. Season with additional honey and toppings to taste.
Make this recipe, instagram it, and make sure to tag @howyouglow // #howyouglow // #kaleandcaramel
|Kale & Caramel // www.kaleandcaramel.tumblr.com|
Photography by: Sasha Young