Get to know one of our staple recipes-- KALE pesto --and 7 ways to use it. Yep, this pesto is packed full of kale and it's super delicious. This kale pesto recipe is so versatile. We love it because it instantly elevates any dish in such a healthy and flavorful way. We made this recipe using ingredients from our Summerland box--their organic, fresh kale is the star ingredient for this dish. But, this recipe still works for the kale that's on its last leg too...
7 WAYS TO USE KALE PESTO:
1. Pasta sauce
2. Sandwich spread
3. Crostini topping
4. Eggs + Toast
5. Grain bowls, like our Quinoa Kale Pesto Bowl
6. Sauce for proteins like fish or chicken
7. Side condiment for dishes like our mini quiche tarts
- 1/2-3/4 bunch of kale
- 1/4 cup almonds (use lemon almonds if you can find them!)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- juice of one whole lemon + its zest
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil (add more if you want a thinner consistency)
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (use nutritional yeast if vegan)
- salt + pepper to taste
- optional: handful of basil
1. Add nuts to a food processor, and pulse a few times to break them up (do not over-pulse or else it will turn into a nut butter)
2. Add kale, pulse a few more times, and add lemon juice, lemon zest, balsamic, cheese/nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, (and basil if using), and pulse some more.
3. With the food processor running, add in the extra virgin olive oil until you reach the consistency you like. Taste for seasoning, and adjust accordingly.
4. Enjoy!! It will keep in the fridge for up to a week covered.
We promise that this recipe will become a staple in your kitchen. Make a batch, instagram it, and make sure to tag @howyouglow // #howyouglow
Recipe by: Tara Sowlaty
Photography by: Davida Williams